Friday, March 31, 2023

AQS Quilt Week Branson - Part I

 

AQS Branson 2023

Last week, I attended the AQS Quilt Week in Branson.  It was a total overload of the senses in a great way.  I (literally) took hundreds of pictures at the event.  For blogging purposes, I'm only going to share the highlights here on my blog in bite-sized chunks.  (You're welcome.) :)

Gail Garber during our workshop.

On the first day of Quilt Week, I took a half-day workshop for Foundation Paper Piecing with author and nationally known quilter, Gail Garber.  Many, many years ago, I attempted to learn foundation paper piecing, but I found it to be overwhelming so I set it aside and never looked back.  I recently signed on for a Block of the Month quilting program where foundation piecing is required for the first couple of blocks.  Thinking there's no time like the present, I decided to try my hand at paper piecing once again, hence my decision to sign up for Gail's workshop.  To be honest, I still find it a bit overwhelming, however, I know that it will only become easier with practice.  It also helped when Gail mentioned that she hated paper piecing when she first tried it, but now she loves it and all of the quilts she makes uses this technique.  So there's that.

This is the block that we worked on in the workshop:

This is the same block multiplied and made into this gorgeous quilt:

Gail Garber's Winding Ways Quilt

Our workshop was just a half day long, and I don't think any of us were able to complete our block.  I do intend to practice working on it on my own time, though.

Gail Garber's Book, Flying Colors.

 
Another of Gail Garber's stunning quilts. This was the prize in a quilt raffle at the show.

Another event I attended on the first day of the show was the All-Star Review. During the review, several nationally-recognized quilter-instructors gave brief demonstrations showcasing their skills and techniques.  Afterwards, we had the opportunity to meet each quilter and purchase books, patterns and supplies from them.

This is author and television personality, Gyleen X. Fitzgerald with her beautiful polygon quilt.  

Gyleen X. Fitzgerald and her beautiful polygon quilt.

What I found really impressive about Gyleen's presentation is that she developed a special polygon template using engineering techniques that allows quilters to make visually-stimulating quilts - like the one shown above - without using any Y seams!!!  When Gyleen demonstrated how to use her template, I was totally inspired.  She made it look so easy! Needless to say, I purchased one of her books and a set of templates from her so I could try my hand at making one of her designs. 

Gyleen X. Fitzgerald's Polygon Sampler Books
 

Award-winning fiber artist, Sally Manke demonstrated how to make fiber flowers to embellish everything from quilts to baskets.  

Fiber artist, Sally Manke with a few of her designs.

 
Sally Manke's Whimsical Bicycle Art Quilt

Personally, the highlight of the day for me was meeting author-needlework aficionado-art quilter, fiber artist, Judith Montano Baker.  I have admired Judith's work for a very long time.  For as long as I can remember, Judith has been on the quilt scene, and her list of accomplishments is quite impressive.  It was through Judith's early books that I became enamored with ribbon work and utilizing embroidery stitches in quilts.  She is truly an icon in her field.  

Judith gave a presentation on making silk ribbon roses during the Review.  Afterwards, I was able to meet this talented lady.  We spoke for several minutes and I found her to be quite interesting, humble and kind in every sense of the word.  I purchased one of her books from her, which she graciously autographed.  This was an experience I will truly never forget.

Me with the one and only Judith Baker Montano.

Judith autographing the book I purchased from her.

"For Dear Wanda, With Love, Judith Baker Montano." :)

Be sure to come back for Part II of my series on the AQS Quilt Week focusing on my workshop with one of my favorite quilters, collage quilter, Laura Heine.  (Trust me, you won't want to miss this.)

For now, I will leave you with a couple of photos taken from around the show.  "See" you soon!


A view of the AQS Branson show floor.

A view of the AQS Branson show floor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Please feel free to drop me a line!

Barn Star Sampler Quilt Along - Month One - Ribbon and Mosaic Star Blocks

  Shelley Cavanna's Barn Star Sampler Quilt Several months ago, I saw the Barn Star Sampler book by Shelley Cavanna online and I couldn&...